Our Web Store
Irish Wolfhound Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- 5 Gifts Professional Grooming can Give To Your Pet
- How To Prepare For A Car Trip With Your Dog
- Stop killing Your Dogs with Contaminated dog food
- The Hidden Benefits Of Owning A Dog
- Ways To Help You Cope With The Loss Of A Beloved Dog
- The Decline of the Dog
- Remember, Dogs Don't Speak English
- Larger Dogs Need Special Dog Beds
- 11 Things Your Dog Is Thinking When It Sees You Naked
- Dogs And Hardwood Floors
Chinese Zoo Fakes Lion With Dog Knock-Off
Add this to the long list of the strangest things ever faked in China. A chinese zoo in People's Park of Luohe, Henan province, got into trouble recently when its supposed "African lion" started barking like a dog:
The beast was in fact a Tibetan mastiff – a large and long-haired breed of dog.
“The zoo is absolutely cheating us,” the [Beijing Youth Daily] quoted Liu, who was charged 15 yuan ($2.45) for the ticket, as saying. “They are trying to disguise the dogs as lions.”
Not so, the zoo defended itself:
The chief of the park’s animal department, Liu Suya, told the paper that while it does have a lion, it had been taken to a breeding facility and the dog – which belonged to an employee – had been temporarily housed in the zoo over safety concerns.
The zoo, widely mocked for disguising a dog as a lion has shut down temporarily for “rectification”, according to reports.
The zoo’s supposed “African lion” was exposed as a fraud when the dog used as a substitute – a Tibetan Mastiff – started barking, the state-run Beijing Youth Daily had reported earlier.
The zoo, in central China’s Henan province, has “altered several misnamed animal signs,” the Beijing Times reported, adding that zoo officials have issued a public apology and “closed for rectification”.
Three other species housed incorrectly in the zoo reportedly included: two coypu rodents in a snake’s cage, a white fox in a leopard’s den, and another dog in a wolf pen.
A photograph of a dog sitting in a cage in front of a sign reading “African lion” drew ridicule on Chinese social media services, with one user saying: “They should at least use a husky to pretend to be a wolf”.
The Tibetan Mastiff is a large and hairy dog breed.
Authorities in the park in the city of Luohe, where the zoo was located, said that the facility had been contracted out to a private zookeeper since 1998.
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Dogs Abandoned on New Jersey Roof in Blazing Heat Found Covered in Tar With No Water - NBC New York
- 14 dogs die when air conditioning in truck fails in Indiana - WGN-TV
- Lorain County kennel under investigation after 14 dogs die in back of hot truck - cleveland.com
- Animal Rescue Inc. hosts Dogs' Day in the Park and Mutt Strutt - York Dispatch
- Abandoned dogs increasing as homeless sweep nears - kgw.com
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy