Our Web Store
Irish Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Should I Use A Shock Collar To Stop My Dog Barking?
- The Newest Mixed-Breed Dogs
- How to Create A Pet Safety Net
- 9 Science-Backed Reasons To Own A Dog
- Are Peanuts Safe For Dogs?
- Reward The Good Or Punish The Bad?
- Situations Every Dog Owner Will Find Themselves In
- Jurassic Dog Park: Which Dinosaur is Your Pup?
- Buying Dogs In Pet Stores Isn't Much Better Than Eating Them
- The Dark Side of Breeding Dogs: How Breeding for Pedigree Harms Dogs’ Health
The Leonberger: Large Lion Dog
The Leonberger is a breed which comes from the city of Leonberg near the foothills of the Black Forest of Germany. The Mayor of Leonberg, Heir Heinrich Essig, developed this dog for one reason only, he wanted to breed a dog that would resemble the lion depicted on the crest of his town. He accomplished this by breeding a Saint Bernard to a Newfoundland, then breeding the offspring to a Pyrenean Mountain dog, in 1907. He thus produced what the rest of the dog world considered a "crossbreed". However, the good looks and personality of the dog won over the hearts of many and it soon became popular not only in Germany but throughout Europe. The dog has the web foot typical of the Newfoundland and the burly good humor of both the Newf and the Saint, while the Pyrenean Mountain dog contributed some herding and guarding instinct. The Leonberger very nearly became extinct during the World Wars. Great Britain and the United States imported dogs of the German strain and continued to breed this distinctly different dog. It has since become registered by all of the European Kennel clubs. Registry in the American Kennel Club has begun with the first step being recognition by the F.S.S. (Foundation Stud Service) of the A.K.C.
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Arkansas woman who 'hoarded dogs' eaten by pets after sudden death - New York Daily News
- Teaching Dogs Some New Tricks—Manners for Holiday Gatherings - Wall Street Journal
- Rescued California kill-shelter dogs and cats await adoption - The Seattle Times
- Study: Children with dogs are less anxious - WISH-TV
- Guide Dogs Are Trained Not to Complain, So This Health Monitor Does It for Them - Motherboard
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy