Forum Home Forum Home Welcome General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Done deal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Doggie Friend
Doggie Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby Soho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Done deal?
    Posted: 20 August 2008 at 7:01pm
Just a quick observation. I am surprised and dismayed that the Irish dogs website is associated with the Donedeal website. Having glanced at a few of the adds I am horrified at the content, and I don't understand how an informative site like this could possibly be connected with the donedeal site.
In the first 2 pages, there is a guy selling adult Great Danes, Dogue de Bordeaux, and St. Bernards, suitable for breeding, because he has a few litters coming up and needs the pens that these dogs are in. Dodgy? Yes.
There is somebody selling IKC 'registered' show standard Bassett hounds that look no more like pedigree Bassett Hounds than I do, have a look for yourself.... Theres another add for bassetts on the same page, just for comparative purposes!!
There is a litter of Great Danes for sale, accompanied by a photo of the proud parents, the dam looks runty and inbred, the sire has a hugely swollen carpus that obviously needs medical attention.
While I'm sure that there are some genuine breeders who use the site, surely people on this site should not be encouraging this? I have a feeling I'm going to be eaten alive for this, but I'm sorry, I think that adds like this scream 'dodgy dodgy dodgy', and I would like to flick the 'find-a-dog' button off the toolbar....
I'd like to hear other peoples opinion on this....

Edited by Ruby Soho - 20 August 2008 at 7:06pm
Sponsored Links

jen0m View Drop Down
BIS IrishDogs Champion
BIS IrishDogs Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jen0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 7:24pm
Everyone is intitled to their opinion Ruby so never be afraid to voice it!! There is a link to done deal from Irish Dogs as every time someone clicks on that link or any other advertising link on Irish dogs it generates revenue for the site & helps to run it. That was my understanding of it anyway.

Personally I don't agree with it either as I do feel alot of puppy farmers use the site to advertise BUT I did get my dog from an ad on donedeal & i wouldn't change that! Smile
Jen.

"A dull day, a sad day, a frustrating day - but everything seems bright when a furry object hurls into your arms & tells you how very glad she is to see you home"
Peter Banks View Drop Down
Alpha
Alpha
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Banks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 7:34pm

Ruby

I don't want to immediately sound as if I am defending myself or the fact that this site is "associated" with http://DoneDeal.ie

However, I have had a very good 'working' relationship with the site's owners since its inception. Both Fred and I are perfectly well aware that, on occasion, a "dodgy" advertisement might fall through the stringent security that we have together put in place to try and weed out potential "puppy farmers". And, in truth, out of the tens of thousand of ads that have been served through my association with DoneDeal there have been less than one hand full of complaints and reports.

Now, would you prefer that there wasn't a close and beady eye being kept on sellers and that in co-operation with DoneDeal I am trying to provide a "safe" environment for buyers to purchase their dogs. By the same token, that is why I don't have any association with the Buy and Sell, because their "controls" are far less stringent than ours.

Of course, no system is ever foolproof and if anyone EVER finds a "suspect" advertisement they should immediately report it to the site owners. There is a link there specifically for this purpose. And, believe me, Fred and I take these complaints VERY seriously as we both DO NOT condone any form of puppy farming (and I can honestly say that there are a number of advertisers who have been banned for life from advertising).

Unfortunately, it always a case of caveat emptor (Buyer Beware) and, as has been stated in may other threads you should do your research before buying any dog from ANY source very very carefully.

Also, from last night's TV programme it does appear that seemingly "reputable breeders" are also passing off sub-standard or, at least, known genetically defective dogs. So, again, this really does mean that the potential buyer needs to be extraordinarily careful in their purchase. After all, it is an addition to the "family" that you are getting here for the next (possible) 14 years or so ... it isn't some kind of supermarket purchase.

To round off, although I earn a very small percentage commission from the advertisements that are placed through this site on DoneDeal I can honestly say, hand on heart, that both Fred and I make it our damnedest responsibility to weed out potentially dodgy advertisers. And, by the same token, we always encourage our visitors to report any suspect advertisers!! So perhaps, it is better the devil you know ... ?

Peter Banks View Drop Down
Alpha
Alpha
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Banks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 7:39pm
And, I should just add a point here that Jen0m has made ... I have received dozens of "Thank You" e-mails from people who have successfully purchased their dogs though DoneDeal and this site, rather than the inordinately small amount of "complainants" who have have been "had".

Of course, in a perfect world I would prefer to never recieve a single complaint, but hey, the world and commerce simply don't work that way!!

Ruby Soho View Drop Down
Doggie Friend
Doggie Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby Soho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 8:28pm
Thats fair enough Peter, I really do appreciate the reply. I was just scratching my head there with confusion, and its good to know that your team have thought about this, and it is indeed taken seriously. I'm only too aware that a fool and his money are easily parted, and absolutely 'buyer beware', I was just concerned about relaying the wrong message to the users of this site.
Hopefully in light of the programme on last night, potential puppy owners might consider their purchases a little more carefully....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic